The ASSE 6005 Generalist certification is provided for medical gas supervisors, architects, engineers, code officials, administrators, project managers, estimators, or anyone else who has an interest in the proper design, installation, use, and maintenance of medical gas and vacuum systems at health care facilities. There are no work/experience prerequisites, so anyone is eligible for the certification.
Candidates eligible for the ASSE 6005 program MUST attain a copy of NFPA 99: Health Care Facilities Code, 2018 edition. This text will be referred to during the training modules and will be required for completing the program. In addition to NFPA 99, it is recommended that the following documents be attained as well, but they are not required.
- ASSE Standard Series 6000: Professional Qualifications Standard for Medical Gas Systems Personnel
- NFPA 55: Compressed Gasses and Cryogenic Fluids Code
Program Fee: $495
The program fee must be received prior to starting the program. The program fee covers the following items.
- (24) Hour Online Training Course (Separated into multiple lessons and practice exams)
- Access to program author for questions and clarifications
- Certification Examination (MGTI Exam Only)
- ASSE 6005 Certification Card (Provided by MGTI)
- Certificate of Completion (For Non-MGTI Certifications)
Candidates have one (1) year from the date they begin the program to complete all the requirements. Failure to complete these requirements within one (1) year will result in forfeit of program fees.
Upon completion of the (24) hour training program, the candidate may register to complete the Certification Examination. The examinations are administered by the Medical Gas Training Institute (MGTI) through an online testing solution. The exams are made up of multiple choice and true/false questions, and the passing score for this exam is 70%. The results are available immediately after completing the exam. If the candidate is successful in passing the Certification Examination, wall certificates and certification cards will be sent by MGTI via U.S. Mail to the newly certified individual.
The certification examinations are designed to test for the candidates’ knowledge and understanding of the applicable codes, standards, and practices required for this specific certification. Examination structure and content are based on information reviewed during the (24) hour training program, as well as, the NFPA 99: Health Care Facilities Code, 2012, 2015, and 2018 editions, NFPA 55: Compressed Gases and Cryogenic Fluids Code, current edition, ASSE Series 6000 Professional Qualification Standard, and many other generally accepted industry documents, policies, and procedures that are discussed throughout the program.
The Medical Gas Systems Generalist certification is administered in accordance with the American Society of Sanitary Engineers (ASSE) Series 6000 Standard, Section 6005. Candidates must meet the following requirements in order to become ASSE 6005 Certified.
- All candidates shall have successfully completed the twenty-four (24) hour training course covering all aspects of the ASSE Standard 6005.
- All candidates must successfully pass the Certification Examination.