ASSE 6020 Medical Gas Systems Inspector
NFPA 99, Health Care Facilities Code
2012, 2015, 2018 and 2021 Edition
The ASSE 6020 Inspector Program was developed to provide qualified individuals with the certification necessary to inspect medical gas and vacuum systems in healthcare facilities. Along with general knowledge about medical gas and vacuum system installation and testing, this certification covers the code requirements within the scope of NFPA 99, NFPA 55 and other applicable codes, laws, and standards.
About the Instructor
Jonathan C. Willard is a principal member of the Technical Committee on Medical Gas and Vacuum Piping Systems (NFPA 99: Health Care Facilities Code) and a principal member of the Technical Committee on Industrial and Medical Gases (NFPA 55: Compressed Gases and Cryogenic Fluids Code). He holds a Credentialed Medical Gas Verifier (CMGV©) certification and has served on the Medical Gas Professional Healthcare Organization (MGPHO) Board of Directors as the Vice President of Credentials. He is also a LEED AP© (Accredited Professional), a certified Project Management Professional (PMP©), a Certified Healthcare Constructor (CHC), and is Certified in Plumbing Design (CPD©) and has a Master of Science degree in Business Education (MBE).
Program Fee – $695
The program fee must be received prior to starting the program. The program fee covers the following items.
- (24) Hour Online Training Course (Separated into multiple lessons and practice exams)
- Access to program author for questions and clarifications
- Certification Examination (MGTI Exam Only)
- ASSE 6020 Certification Card (Provided by MGTI)
- Certificate of Completion (For Non-MGTI Certifications)
Upon completion of the (24) hour training program, the candidate may register to complete the Certification Examination. The examinations are administered by the Medical Gas Training Institute (MGTI) through an online testing solution. The exams are made up of multiple choice and true/false questions, and the passing score for this exam is 70%. The results are available immediately after completing the exam. If the candidate is successful in passing the Certification Examination, wall certificates and certification cards will be sent by MGTI via U.S. Mail to the newly certified individual.
The certification examinations are designed to test for the candidates’ knowledge and understanding of the applicable codes, standards, and practices required for this specific certification. Examination structure and content are based on information reviewed during the (24) hour training program, as well as, the NFPA 99: Health Care Facilities Code, 2012, 2015, and 2018 editions, NFPA 55: Compressed Gases and Cryogenic Fluids Code, current edition, ASSE Series 6000 Professional Qualification Standard, and many other generally accepted industry documents, policies, and procedures that are discussed throughout the program.
Candidates must meet the following requirements in order to become ASSE 6020 Certified.
- All candidates shall be employed by a governmental unit as a plumbing and/or mechanical inspector, or as an administrator of such inspectors OR be a person regularly involved in the design, inspection, or verification of medical gas systems, OR be an ASSE 6010 Installer.
- All candidates shall have a minimum of two (2) years of documented experience OR any combination of the above.
- All candidates shall have successfully completed a twenty-four (24) hour training course covering all aspects of the ASSE Standard 6020.
- All candidates must successfully pass the final examination.